Oregon Senate Democrats gear up for election
Democratic candidates for the Oregon Senate gathered in Salem this afternoon to submit final paperwork for filing for office. Ten incumbent Senate Democrats filed to keep their seat. Two candidates filed to fill opening seats and four candidates are challenging Republican incumbents.
“All of these candidates are committed to looking out for middle class Oregonians and creating jobs,” said Senate Majority Leader Richard Devlin, a candidate for Senate District 19 (Tualatin, Lake Oswego, and West Linn). “As caucus leader, I’m confident about Senate Democrats’ ability to maintain our majority. During some of the most challenging times in Oregon’s history, our caucus has demonstrated their ability to lead and deliver results for Oregon’s families.”
Devlin pointed to Senate Democrats’ accomplishments helping Oregonians get back to work, balancing the state budget, and protecting families from unscrupulous banks and lenders.
“While other states have been immobilized by catastrophic budget shortfalls and partisan gridlock, Democrats in the Legislature have demonstrated leadership in guiding Oregon through these tough times,” said Devlin. “We’ve been protecting our schools, creating jobs, and streamlining government. We will continue to focus on these core priorities in the years ahead.”
The following is a list of Democrats who have filed for Senate seats (in numerical order):
- SD 3, Ashland & Medford: Senator Alan Bates
- SD 4, Eugene & North Douglas County: Senator Floyd Prozanski
- SD 6, Springfield: Lee Beyer, former senator & Public Utility Commission Chair
- SD 7, Eugene, Junction City: Senator Chris Edwards
- SD 8, Corvallis & Albany: Dan Rayfield, President of Linn-Benton Bar Assoc.
- SD 10, Salem: William Dalton, fund development specialist
- SD 11, Salem, Gervais, & Woodburn: Senator Peter Courtney
- SD 13, Yamhill & Polk Counties: Timi Parker, retired Oregon schoolteacher
- SD 15, Hillsboro & Forest Grove: Representative Chuck Riley
- SD 16, Columbia, Clatsop, & Tillamook Counties: Senator Betsy Johnson
- SD 17, Washington County & NW Portland: Senator Suzanne Bonamici
- SD 19, Tualatin, West Linn, & Lake Oswego: Senator Richard Devlin
- SD 20, Canby, Oregon City, & Gladstone: Senator Martha Schrader
- SD 22, Portland: Senator Chip Shields
- SD 24, Portland & Happy Valley: Senator Rod Monroe
SD 26, Estacada, Sandy, & Hood River: Representative Brent Barton